Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Jordan Love


Wadi Rum
Okay, I feel a little bad about my list of things to look forward to about going home. I really do love living here in Jordan. I have had so many excellent experiences that I would not give up for anything. I have made friends, eaten crazy things, discussed religion, and completely fallen in love with the people and this place. I really do hope I have the opportunity to come back soon. Anyway, I thought it would be a good idea to come up with a list of things I will miss about Jordan when I get back home.
1. Food. I have clearly enjoyed the food here. I will miss munsaf, maqluba, falafel, hummus, pita, everything! I know you can get a lot of this in the states and I can even try making some of it myself, but it won’t be the same. I will definitely miss eating with my hands and then taking a nice long nap afterward. Most importantly, though, I will miss the conversation surrounding each meal. I will miss the people I have been eating with, the things we talk about, the jokes we make, and everything we do together.
2. Call to prayer. This haunting sound that dictates the passing of the day will definitely be missed. It is a continual reminder to Muslims, and to me as well, to pray to God. It helps me maintain perspective and remember to be grateful.
3. Landscape. Jordan is absolutely beautiful. I have enjoyed seeing so many different types of landscape that are absolutely stunning. I love the farm out at Ajloun, the valleys and rock formations to the south, and the city scape here in Amman. This is definitely Bible country.
Getting friendly at the farm...
4. Adventures. I will miss going on random escapades downtown, driving out to the Dead Sea, and getting invited to random people’s homes. I have had countless impromptu meals or drinks with people that have been so fun. People here are honestly so friendly. They have been so kind to us, are great hosts, and cook amazing food.
5. People. I will definitely miss the Jordanian people I have met here. I have never met a more welcoming people. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to get to know people, especially through my interviews with Rilee, that I might never have gotten the chance to know. I have met some amazing women that have completely changed my views on things. I will also miss my fellow interns. I have had some pretty hilarious experiences with some of them and have built friendships that I hope to maintain for long after we leave Jordan.
Obviously this is just a handful and I will probably keep thinking of more things I’m going to miss, but this is good for now. Needless to say, I have loved it here and could easily call this home.

No comments:

Post a Comment