Saturday, July 21, 2012

Homesick :(

Alright, I think I've hit my wall. It's pretty darn hot here, I'm tired, Ramadan is starting and I am pretty much done. I have absolutely loved my time here in Jordan and wouldn't trade any of it for the world, but I am looking forward to going home. Part of it has to do with some of the exciting things coming up soon, but I am really looking forward to being back in Portland. First of all, it will be cool. After wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt in 100+ degree weather, I can totally handle anything the Pacific Northwest wants to throw me. The following is a list of things I'm looking forward to...
1. Seeing my mom and dad, duh! I can't wait to sit out on our back patio discussing life while eating fresh berries from our garden...that sounds heavenly. I just love being with them, getting their advice, joking, arguing, etc. I would whole heartedly agree that distance makes the heart grow fonder.
2. Mexican food. My mom makes the best enchiladas ever and I am definitely going to eat a hearty portion. An add on to this is comfort foods in general. I will enjoy some pulled pork sandwiches, potato salad, Tillamook ice cream, girl scout cookies, date bars, and all the other goodies I can get my hands on in the two weeks that I'm home:)
3. Visiting family. Right after I get home I will be driving down to California with my mom. Time out on the boat? I think yes.
4. Cleanliness....of myself. I cannot wait for the constant sweat to cease. I just want to feel semi-clean and not have to change my clothes three times a day. This also includes being able to take longer showers. I will not have to fear running out of water in the middle of my shower...I will, however, have to fear my dad yelling, "Wrap it up, Em...that's my money going down the drain!"....so I guess it's a trade off.
5. Carpet. A strange thing to miss...but it will be enjoyed when I get home.
6. Air Conditioning. That's kind of a no-brainer, but fans do not cut it. I seriously think A/C is one of the greatest inventions of all time. It makes people more productive, happier, and slightly less crazy.
7. Drinking from the tap. I love love love Oregon water. It tastes so sweet and delicious, plus you don't have to run down to the store to get it.
8. Your brain might explode on this one...but I miss Provo. Who knew? I guess it's less temporary than I anticipated. I miss sleepovers, adventures, the beautiful landscape and....I miss school, too...what is wrong with me!?
9. Target. I just want to walk around in it. I know it's weird...but it's true.
10. Driving. Who knew you could miss the simple act of being behind the wheel?
11. All things Portland. The waterfront, the Pearl District, picnics at the Pittock Mansion, my favorite restaurants, Pioneer Square, the Park Blocks, Forest Park, and my house.
12. My ward! I can't wait to see all my friends and family from the Skyline area:)
Hopefully this wasn't too depressing. I don't want you thinking I hate my life. I love it here and am grateful that I have had the opportunity to come out. I am also glad to have the next two weeks to say goodbye to new friends, eat at my favorite restaurants one more time, get my souvenir shopping done, and prepare to say farewell to this amazing place.

1 comment:

  1. emily! oh man i feel ya.. it will be bittersweet leaving, but not leaving the heat! sounds awful over there compared to thailand
    enjoy wrapping up your trip see you in the fall!

    ReplyDelete