Sunday, May 13, 2012

Ephesus


While I'm already back in Jordan, I still have a couple more things to share about Turkey! It has been a bit of a whilrwind so I'm feeling a bit behind.
Ephesus. An ancient Greek and later Roman city located near the modern day Turkish city of Selçuk. I reached Selçuk by overnight bus from Istanbul. I only woke up to a middle aged Turkish man stroking my hair and face once, so I would definitely consider it a successful journey. Upon reaching Selçuk, I checked into a wonderful guesthouse just outside of town called Atilla's Getaway. This backpacker's paradise is fabulous! And yes, I recognize that this sounds like an advertisement, but I seriously had a great time there and would recommend it to anyone. Mostly it was the great and interesting people I met while there, but the chilled out atmostphere, amazing barbecues, and pool definitely helped. 
A young Australian guy, Matt, joined me in exploring the beautiful ruins and countryside that make up Ephesus. Despite the hoards of tourists in some areas, the ruins were amazing. We were able to find a few quiet places to stop, take it all in, and eat a banana. 
I didn't really know much about the city except for my limited knowledge of St. Paul's Epistle to the Ephesians, but I was thoroughly impressed with the architecture and ingenuity still on display thousands of years later. After about four blazing hot hours of ruin roaming, Matt and I were beat. A celebratory banana atop one of the ruins concluded our exploration. We finally headed back to Atilla's Getaway for some relaxation and delicius barbecue. Turkey has everything, doesn't it?
In keeping with the history, here is a favorite scripture from the Epistle to the Ephesians:
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." (Ephesians 6:12-13)

No comments:

Post a Comment