Sunday, June 24, 2012

Halfway Point

The Treasury at Petra
Half way. I cannot believe we are halfway done with our work here in Jordan. It has seriously flown by and I still feel like I'm just getting the hang of things. At the same time, though, it feels like ages since I've seen my parents and I've missed them! In the three months since they came to visit me at school I have finished my final exams (hallelujah), spent time in Turkey, and then moved here to Amman. We have been working diligently on our research and evaluation projects which has been such an amazing learning experience. So I decided I would compile a brief list of other fun things I have learned in the last few months from my travels and new adventures:
  1. Eating with your hands is harder than it looks. There is a technique required that takes time to be mastered. Luckily, eating this way is a great method of portion control because it takes so much effort just to get a mouthful of food.
  2. Reversing on a busy street in Jordan is totally acceptable...as long as you put your hazards on.
  3. Falafal is AMAZING. At first I wasn't so sure, but I could eat a falafal sandwich every single day for the rest of my life and never get bored.
  4. Siestas are a fabulous thing. When it is well over one hundred degrees out, sometimes there is nothing more you can do. You just have to give in, eat heaps of food, and take a nap to make it through.
  5. Things sound a lot scarier from the media than they feel here. There is obviously contention in the region, but I have felt nothing but safe and secure since I've been here. It's bizarre knowing there is danger in such close proximity to us, but nobody here appears too worried about the surrounding countries. 
  6. People everywhere are similar. Everybody seek the same thing: happiness. They value family relationships, religion, and good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment